While The Gods Were Sleeping - Elizabeth Enslin

How do you review someone's life story? That's the dilemma I am faced with.
While I thought Elizabeth's story of life in Nepal was interesting and even eye-opening, I don't know that everyone would enjoy it. The story isn't the issue, it's how it's told. Sometimes I actually was a little bored while reading. Like I said, it was interesting subject matter though. Then I would think to myself what a horrible person I was.... how could I be bored by someone's life?!
The subject of Nepal and its culture is beyond foreign to me. There's a part that was happy about that though. Nepal is a country that is not so kind toward the female population, and the laws differ so much from our own that I actually was offended a couple of times by things they consider customary. It's like all the bad stories you hear of women being treated as second-class or even worthless come to life. I was baffled why Elizabeth would agree to move there and have her child there. No amenities and very dirty circumstances instead of in North America where there is more resources and cleaner safety standards for deliveries. At least the book explains the answer to that question, and it is what made the story good.
In the end, I am glad I read this book. I learned a lot about a country and culture I knew nothing of and heard another human being's story through experiences.

Source: http://www.fredasvoice.com/2014/09/giveaway-67-while-gods-were-sleeping.html