The Collector of Dying Breaths - M.J. Rose

When I read the synopsis and saw the name Catherine De Medici, I was thoroughly intrigued by that alone. The only thing I really knew of her was she liked to poison people, and who wouldn't be thrilled by the mystery in that.
This story is quite the play on that only piece of knowledge I had. But much more detailed and in depth.
In true M.J. Rose style, this book is filled with links to history, mystery and suspense. I enjoy reading her books a lot. In fact, her books are the only ones that I have read where I appreciate the flipping back and forth between time periods. Generally that would drive me nuts, but she always makes it work. She has a talent at connecting the different time eras.
The only thing that still sticks out in my mind was wondering if they really would have had votive candles in the 1500's? I know tapers were around, but votive?  I feel I need to know this.
I also like how the books are in a series, but can easily be read as stand alone books. I have only read 3 now, and not in a straight order. I don't mind going back and forth though, I don't think I'll miss anything. Each story is unique even if with some characters in each. I haven't read every one and don't feel lost so neither should you. I will be reading the others in case you are wondering....

Source: http://www.fredasvoice.com/2014/04/giveaway-review-24-collector-of-dying.html