The Dragon of the Month Club by Iain Reading

— feeling evolution
The Dragon of the Month Club - Iain Reading

Middle Grade? I think not.
The only issues I had with the whole book was a feeling that it should be geared for an older crowd than middle grade. As a mom, there were a few things I wouldn't want my middle-grader reading and getting the context put forth in this book. First stealing was okay with a reason, of course, then skipping school was condoned. Again with reason, though not one I would want my child thinking is okay. Then there was one terrifying moment in the book, with a man with scissors, and I thought, "if I'm afraid, imagine what my ten year old would be like..." (My kids are 18 & 20, but you get the idea.)
With that said, if you can get past that stuff, which I totally did, you get an imaginable story that comes to life. It did not have a Disney ending either, but I was okay with that since it seemed to leave room for more books.
I loved the Canadian references too... y'know, my roots and all.
I think the book is more YA but I did like it in the end. I know many of you will too. It's different.

Source: http://www.fredasvoice.com/2016/03/win-dragon-of-month-club-by-iain.html