Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee

— feeling star
Go Set a Watchman - Harper Lee
I had my introduction to this author in 2010 and felt like I was missing something, having not read it for so long. I didn't wait to read this one, despite the mild controversy and opinions on it all. I had one comment saying she didn't think Harper Lee wanted the public to read this book. I think if that's true, she shouldn't have written it, or at least made those wishes known.  Regardless, I chose to read it, and I hope you do too before you formulate an opinion.
This book is profound.
Those who disagree might have expected too much from it.
This story gives us a deeper insight into the life of Atticus Finch and his daughter, Jean Louise. Much like the readers of, To Kill A Mockingbird, Jean Louise followed the case, and others her father worked on, believing he was a man of high moral ground. Which he is, but as any man, he is also flawed. So when he is viewed with a different ideal than she is accustomed to, she handles herself rather poorly.
The book, and the story itself, still gives us a deep look into racism and the old South. It is still trying to get across the morals of equality, which I believe it accomplished.
I'm so glad I read this book. It didn't have the same effect as, To Kill A mockingbird, but it still resonates in me.
I love this quote:
Prejudice, a dirty word, and faith, a clean one, have something in common; they both begin where reason ends. ~ Page 332
So, while the story is set before you, it's the thought-provoking statements that pull you in and leave you thinking about how it fits today, which it sadly still does. Maybe African-Americans are being 'segregated' anymore, but racism is still going strong, here, there and everywhere. Books like this help to remember that and see what changes I can do in my own life to help stop the cycle of hate. Shouldn't that be a lesson to us all....

Source: http://www.fredasvoice.com/2015/08/62-go-set-watchman-by-harper-lee.html