The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Well, alrighty then....
I feel like I'm supposed to love this book, but I don't. That's not to say I don't like it a whole bunch though. It's not an easy story to read. The subject matter can hit way too close to home, especially for women. The idea of this 'slave society' is not so far-fetched. Hard to believe a book written in the 80's still holds so much relevance today. Maybe even more so now, I think.
The author is highly acclaimed for her superior writing skills, and it comes through the page in an eloquent way. I admit, though eloquent, it was sometimes just plain weird too. Not the actual writing, but how it came across in my mind while I read it. I can definitely see why people re-read this one over and over again. I can also see why the hoopla surrounding the book. It was a truly epic story.
What I don't get is why it's on the Banned Book List. The subject matter is not for kids, that's true, but this book would still make a great literary suggestion for senior high school kids, college or university. Then again, I don't think any book should be banned.
If you are adult, and haven't read this classic book, I urge you to do so. Everyone should try it at least once.

Source: http://www.fredasvoice.com/2015/04/35-handmaids-tale-by-margaret-atwood.html