The Gurkha's Daughter - Prajwal Parajuly

Full of culture!
I have to admit, it was the cover that initially pulled me in. I imagined a story of immigration. At the end of this story I got what I expected.
Up to that point was a collection of stories. These stories were about various people in India, Nepal and Bhutan. They were rich with culture and had profound moments for me with the heart of the characters I was reading about. I feel I learned a lot about these cultures and their traditions in every day life. While similar to ours, they are so very different too. Even among their own countries they are the same but different. Even in how they speak each other's languages. The sad thing is, these stories did nothing to make me want to visit these places. These people had hard lives. Harder than I could ever know, and women are treated very, very differently. As a woman, sometimes it was hard to read. I am sure they are beautiful countries, but life is just too different for me.
I appreciated what I read though. I feel I have a better understanding of these men and women's stories. As a whole, I don't know that I can say I 'liked' the book though. The stories were not connected in any way, so it had a strange flow. The ending is what got to me though. It ended with the immigration to New York City, and I felt it was the weakest story of them all. Since the whole cover is what pulled me in and the immigration part is what I hoped for, I feel a little let down.
I'm sure other people will feel differently though. To each his own.

Source: http://www.fredasvoice.com/2014/11/83-gurkhas-daughter-prajwal-parajuly.html